Saturday, January 5, 2013

Annie's Arnica Salve

These are Arnica flowers that we grew last summer, drying on a screen, waiting to be added to Extra Virgin Olive Oil so their goodness can infuse over five weeks in the sun into the oil.  Arnica is a rank herb with anti-inflammatory properties.  Used as a topical rub, it provides several hours of relief from muscle aches, joint pain, bangs and bruises.  I began using Arnica Salve on my feet, knees and hands when they hurt so badly.  As nice as the salve was, it was VERY expensive.  When a neighbor pointed out to me that Mexican Arnica was growing in the alley behind our house, I was inspired to figure out how to use it.  After a week of research, and another couple of weeks drying and infusing the flowers and waiting for my New Mexico beeswax to arrive, I was ready to make my own salve!  It was fantastic!--so much so that I began sharing it with friends, who all came back for more! They all suggested that I think about selling it, but it took about a year for me to start my business.

Here are some of Arnica's therapeutic properties: When applied directly after an injury Arnica significantly reduces bruise formation. It is also helpful for treating arthritis, burns, ulcers, eczema, and acne. Anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities help reduce pain and swelling while improving wound healing.  Arnica contains sesquiterpene lactones (known to reduce inflammation and decrease pain), the volatile oil thymol, arnicin, arnisterol (arnidiol), flavonoids such as anthoxanthine, tannin, resin, a polysaccharide inulin, mucilage and manganese. It's the sesquiterpene lactones that reduce inflammation by dispersing fluids that build up in bruised and injured tissue. Arnica helps to mop up inflammatory debris and lactic acid, which reduces swelling and relieves pain after injury and muscle strain.

Learn more from Natural News

So although I'm no physician and I don't believe the FDA wants to corroborate any statements about any herb that's not part of the Big Pharma system, I find all this interesting and believe that we could all benefit by looking at plant remedies especially for some of our less critical ailments, instead of looking on the shelves of Big Box Stores.  That being said, we all need to be smart about it too.  If you have plant allergies, you might be allergic to this plant as well.  And you should not take the Arnica herb internally, nor should you apply it to damaged or broken skin.  (Homeopathic Arnica Montana is what some folks take for accidental injury, severe bruising, or trauma.)  

If you think you might be interested in trying some of my Arnica Salve, just CLICK HERE 

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't figure out how to post a comment. Finally clicked on "no comments" and the comments screen comes up. Clicked on preview and it took me to a google sign in page. Not very intuitive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry folks are having a hard time. Just comment through your Google account or through Facebook. Let me know in FB if you're still having a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete