Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Slouching into the New Year

Standing near a south-facing table that contains last year's bouganvilla, early narcissus and a couple amaryllis from Christmas, I am reminded that spring can't be too far away.  Really, it can't possibly be too far away.  But right now?  Oh, it's cold and it's been raining and my little hands have just been complaining out loud!  Out comes the Arnica Salve and it gets liberally rubbed all over--hands, knees, feet.  Two days ago we went to Ha-Yo-Kay Hot Springs and took a lovely soak in one of their underground pools.  What else do you do here in the desert when it's cold?  I've caught up on replenishing my salves, I've started three more tinctures for people who need them, I've read and read and read until my eyes feel like they're going to fall out, and have drunk more tea and hot orange juice than I would like, really.  There is just a six-week period here when everyone seems to get the doldrums--it's either cold, rainy, windy or a combination of all three.  Our granddaughter has come for a visit, and she brought all hot-weather clothes.  After spending a day walking around town slightly underdressed, she presents this morning with swollen glands and a sore throat.  Out comes the Elderberry and Flu-B-Gone Tinctures, out comes the Good Earth hot and spicy tea, out comes the Oregano Oil for an essential oil throat rub.  Ah, and now my husband and I are feeling like we're fighting off the edge of something too.  So now we're dosed up all around too.  Pretty soon we can plant.  Pretty soon my seed orders will be here.  Pretty soon it will be warm enough to spend the morning out on our porch in the sun.  Until then I'll keep my eyes on the sun that filters through the flowers on my table and know that soon all these plants will be back outside where they belong and we'll begin another season of gardening in the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment